Thursday 25 November 2010

Winning with Winnie

Its funny how things work isn't it

I am an SU camp leader 25 years ago. One of the campers there is a young lad - Stephen Bell. 

25 years later I am going through the gate at Kigali airport and Stephen says hello - came off the same plane. - first time I have seen him in 25 years. (I am going to log all the coincidences!)

He is working with a Christian entrepreneurial group headed by Denis Overton, that I had had previous contact with, and with whom I had made arrangement to meet during my time here. They are trying to helps Rwandan develop their businesses.

So we met last night for a meal - I was feeling not great - tummy upset all day.

We chatted through the planning problem, and the planning departments desire that our building should have 2 storeys. A ruling that would immediately lead to serious risk to the whole project on financial grounds

Stephen said - Gary - you must go and see Winnie - she is running a spectacularly good Christian school, and has done lots of building development. She has the planners rapped around her little finger - he says!

Indeed I had heard from Callum, that I should see her at some point, but had not got round to it yet

So tonight I had a short 5 minute phone call with Winnie, and talked through the issue.



Oh Gary, - you do not need to worry about the one storey issue. Its just an idea they have - it will be no problem. But Winnie what happens if the planner refuses the application. Oh says Winnie - you just go and find another planner who will agree!!! Phone me if there is any problem and I will help you sort it.

Funny how things work - 5 minutes, with the right person and a light blinks back on. 

Good to be looked after.

Suspect her nickname is going to be Winnie the Winner!!

Tomorrow I meet the Principle of Kicukiro College - the main college in Kigali, at 8am, then at 10am the planning department, and at 2pm a meeting with the street children - going to busy. 

I suspect I will be speaking to Winnie later in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment