Monday 22 November 2010

Camp Kalka


For the last 3 days I have been living with the Ndahigwa family. They have provided me with their usual excellent hospitality. However, I am a stubborn and fixed nature and I like my independence and freedom. I like to be able to go and come when I want, to make arrangements and meetings when I need them, and that is just not possible with them in Niboye, Kigali.

So as happened last time I have escaped, and this time to Norbert's place - Camp Kalka. Norbert is an German architect here in Kigali, and he is going to help us by checking the construction on set intervals.

What construction I hear you say after the last blog. Well I am an optimist, and have yet to bin the idea of establish a Vocational College for the poor.

This will be my base, and tomorrow at 8am, I am meeting John Gaga, Chair of the Association of Colleges. I wonder what he will think about all colleges having to be several storeys from now on. I am also hoping to meet the Director of Kicukiro Technical College at 12 midday.

These two people should be able to advise me of the key issues in college development, and matters regarding employing teachers, apprenticeship issues, and new contacts that I should make in trying to establish our college.

Today has been a busy one, and apart from visiting the planning department, I met Jeff and Kayitare our builders to go over issues regarding construction and cost. Which reminds me must stop blogging and write up my to do list. They were in good form, but once again I had to remind Jeff that he had forgaotten to bring me a CD of some of his great music - he promised that I would have it before I leave - I plan to hold him to that  - or no building contract!

I also met Florence Mukakabano, who came to meet me in the UTC. She had driven the 2 hours from Butare, because I had brought some presents from her friend Billy Smith. These were very much appreciated and were worth the effort of transport  - a laptop for her son, and a slow cooker, and some other gifts. The took up quite a lot of space but fortunately 2 bags are allowed to come to Rwanda. Great to be of assistance.

I see its 7.50pm in Glasgow - all the best Stuart, Mark, and Pistol Pete - expect you will win the Invershiel game at Brahead without me.

Regards to all

No comments:

Post a Comment