Saturday 20 November 2010

3 Weddings, no Funeral

A Day of Missed Weddings


Day 1 Kigali, 30 degrees - very pleasant.


Today was a day when I missed no less than 3 weddings! 


If I had been in Glasgow this weekend we would have been celebrating our friends’ Paula and David’s wedding. It was not to be.

When I arrived in Kigali, Pastor Paul informed me that he was taking a wedding at the church. I thought this might be an opportunity to see at first hand a Rwandan wedding, which can be quite an occasion apparently, but Paul thought I should spend the time resting.

Rest not being a natural skill I have, instead I went into the city, bought my Tigo modem that allows me to blog, dropped in to see Pete Andrews before he left the country for a week, and changed my cash into Rwandan dollars.

On the way home I decided to avoid the £5 taxi, and got a bus for 20p – I was astonished, because the journey took at least 20 minutes. They dropped me off in Kicukiro, and I decided to walk back to Paul’s house, which was a delightful 2 mile walk on a warm beautiful day, in very pretty surroundings.

I passed a large Catholic church and was tempted to go in and listen to the singing – it was a wedding. But embarrassment caused me to miss my 3rd wedding of the day.

When I got back we got out the badminton rackets and table tennis bats that I had brought, and Esther, Paul’s 3 year old daughter and I played for an hour – she is definitely better at ping pong than badminton.


The calender is starting fill, and time is short. Tomorrow and Monday I need to get my diary out and get  meetings organised - and loads of them.

1 comment:

  1. Well I just managed to slide to one side as your propeller swished past. Glad you made it and have hit the ground running - weddings, walks, meals, meetings etc.
    The good thing about kabugas is that you can eat as many as you want with no consequences - so d'ont hold back!

    Suggest you try the top down system of washing - it works- as the used water in the basin can be reused - your new friend will be impressed!

    Trust you managed to beat the five year old at table tennis- remember its all about WINNING.

    Well must go now - got a hot shower running follower up by some nice toast and marmalade ( extra thick cut)for supper.

    No sign of bad boy seems to have disappeared - looks like you (us) are own own own! Keep your head down and keep eating the kabugas and remember - no surrender!

    Your good friend
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete