Saturday 20 November 2010

Simple Dilemmas and Mighty Mouse

Today brought a number of dilemmas that caused me to struggle with the answer.

Ask yourself what you would do with each of these.

1. I am lying on my bed, blogging away, and I think I just saw a mouse/rat scurry at high speed from the window in the corner of the room, right under my bed.

Now I am not sure, it was just a very slight and fast movement. I can hear nothing, no evidence and no certainty. Do I look under the bed or not? If I look, what will I do if there is one sitting there, and if I do not, will I get to sleep wondering?

2. Walking through Kigali today, and being one of the few white people tends to attract attention. Newspaper sellers, and taxi drivers constantly tout for business believing I have money to give. I tend to just keep my head down and avoid eye contact. But that makes me feel rotten and not true to myself. Then a beggar asks for money and I struggle to look them in the face too. I do not like it. How should I react, is there a way of being friendly without encouraging them.

3. A youngster walks past, smiles and holds out his hand to shake mine, I ignore him, first reaction was he probably wanted money (and I am probably right) but he might just have wanted to shake my hand and say hello. Double rotter! The next few youngsters get a brief nod and hello - but still pretty restrained

As I reflected on these things later, it occurred to me that they tell me much about my own inadequacies, fears and inability to communicate.

My curling team would probably tell you that its taken me far too long to realise this!

Anyway I have decided that tomorrow I will definitely feel much less self conscious, and will absolutely shed my fears and embarrassment - that is until I get to the church service and the dancing starts. Oh no - another dilemma just round the corner.

I wonder how Mighty Mouse is doing - suspect he is hiding under the bed having the same thoughts about whether he had seen a giant lying on top of the bed above - and whether he should risk a look and what he would do if there was a giant there!

Sleep well Mighty - I am not going to have a look - and I suggest you do the same.

2 comments:

  1. When I was over, I saw a massive cockroach one night. I had never seen one before and didn't expect them to be so big; fortunately it was outside the building. It was while I was practicing my pipes - think it was attracted (confused?) by the noise!
    I didn't tell the wife...didn't think she would react well...

    ReplyDelete