Tuesday 23 November 2010

The BAD Proposal

Part of my work here this time is to develop the Ihumure College business plan. This involves getting fairly accurate figures on income  - what we can charge as fees, how many students can afford them etc, and what the main expenditure costs are – teachers and principles salaries, material costs, and control mechanisms.



For this I have arranged two visits. Today was the first to the SOS Kinderdorf technical school, and to visit John Gaga. John was excellent, and gave me an hour and a half. I now have most of the details that I need to make substantive financial plans for the actual running of the College.

These will need to be checked against the results of my second interrogation (oops sorry, should not mention that medical term) – I mean visit, on Friday to the Kicukiro Technical College.

John showed me round the school he runs. It is a German establishment, one of many that their charity runs. Its quite some operation and I was very impressed.



While I was with John, I raised the subject of apprenticeships in Kigali but learned that they are very informal and do not seem to have been developed much.

So its time for Bad Boy Bennie to stop writing his blog and get down to the hard work of developing the Bennie Apprenticeship Document. To be known from now on as the BAD proposal!

Anyway, by coincidence, (as if)  - you must really be getting fed up with the frequency of these coincidences – anyway, by coincidence when I talked to John about apprenticeships, he said that he was just about to go down to a morning conference on work placements. Would I like to come and meet all the people from local colleges, business and the workforce development agency. Not an opportunity to be missed.

So I spent the morning helping to design the new Rwandan work placement system – even gave them some of my indepth knowledge and experience of Scottish work placements and apprenticeships – oh no, what experience I hear you cry – well thanks for that vote of confidence.

While I remember, while I was there Denis from WDA said he would arrange a meeting for me with Albert the director – must get that email off now.

Anyway the Rwandan plan now has a wee Scottish bit about Institute Learner Agreements  and student learning plans in it!  What have I done!

No comments:

Post a Comment