Tuesday 23 November 2010

Planning Nightmare 2

Those of you who have been reading the blog the last couple of days, will be wondering what the planners are saying. Well at lunch time today we were given the letter.

It was in Rwandan, so I had not a clue what it said. So Emmanual Rubagumya (sorry about the poor photo Emmanuel) came to translate it. Unfortunately some of it was pretty unclear, despite two people trying.




There was nothing else for it but to take another taxi moto to the one stop centre in Kigali City centre.

The last time we went there it was quiet ad we just walked in. This time it was empty apart that is from a full planning meeting with the Kigali Mayor and Vice Mayor.

I thought about joining them (aye right!) but decided I should just sit outside until the meeting finished. After an hour Vincent who has been helping assess our planning application, came out and explained the letter.

This was about 4pm. I immediately phoned Roger in Kirkie, to decide a plan including some redrawings, phoned Callum in Kilsyth, and Paul in Niboye, to agree the way forward. Nothing like having a planning meeting on the hoof!

In 20 minutes all was agreed, so I went and had lunch (well it was 4,30pm), did my emails and blog, and then headed for home.

Must say I was pretty puggled after a long day and just could not resist a beer at the Leica Hotel, and there I updated our basecamp website with all the curriculum and business planning information I had received from my earlier visit.

Then it was on to a local Chinese for tea, and by that time Roger had completed the pdf file, and had written the architect speel for the planners. Fantastic job!

All I have to do now is to write my letter on behalf of the church pulling it all together, and by late tomorrow morning it will be back on the planners desk – with me sitting outside looking for answers yet again.

The key question I must ask myself is what will the planners respond to, if anything? It would be nice to have  a conversation where we had a bit of negotiation, but it does not work that way, or does it in Rwanda?

Patience folks - you will just have to wait for the next instalment of Planning Nightmare 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment