Thursday 26 August 2010

Garlic Macfarlane and the Vice Mayor


I am happily blogging in bed. Tonight I hope to have a mosquito free night. As you can see my laptop and me (no you are not getting a picture of moi!), have decided that we are fed up getting bitten by Manic Mosquito.

Manic has been chasing use around the whole of Kigali. Every night I hope that I have kept him out, and then he buzzes in one ear hole and out the other - usually about 3 in the morning. Then he takes a few bites quietly and disappears off.

The following morning big weals form and then you realise he got you once again. What is worse, he does not like Fleming at all. He says he does not know what a bite is! Must be the smell or some of that awful substance he puts on before bed.

I suppose I cannot expect Manic to like Fleming, but just once it would be nice to see a large spot come out on his face, but I really doubt its going to happen.

Anyway, tonight I have taken every precaution as you can see, and tomorrow I hope to report that Manic was found shrivelled on the floor from hunger and dehydration - I will not be showing him any sympathy.

So what of garlic. Well its quite simple. When you are given the opportunity to meet the vice mayor, and have to wait outside in 32 degree heat, then you get a bit dry. In to her room you go, and when the introductions happen, you slightly stumble out your name.

Oh thats an unusual name she says. I look a bit surprised - always thought Gary was ok as a name - nothing much unusual about it.

Did you say Garlic Macfarlane!? You can imagine my alarm. Immediately I realised that the whole of Rwanda was now going to know me as Garlic Macfarlane (and Scotland also for that matter). What a disaster, and no way of hiding the nickname. I can just see my McAdam introduction at the first evening service after we return home. Mental panic sets in, and I have no escape.

Fleming was convulsing in the corner of the room, desperately trying not to offend Florence, the Vice Mayor. John Mutesa who was listening outside the room, also heard it. So absolutely no hope of keeping it quiet from anyone

Florence took it in great style, not so I! But Garlic Macfarlane it is!

Cannot even think of a good email address that goes with it!

Oh well, perhaps when we meet Florence next week, I can persuade her to think of a nickname for Fleming and Mutesa

1 comment:

  1. Thought this was a blog about a mosquito but it turned into one about garlic. There may be a clue there, Gary, to help you get some relief. Why don't you get a large clove of garlic and rub it all over your feet? That's what Roger's been doing for years and nothing goes near him - not even mosquitos!

    ReplyDelete