Wednesday 1 December 2010

Day with a Twist

From Solace over Kigali
I had deliberately planned this day to be very busy. I needed to make sure that I had completed almost all my work today so that I could leave the last day for loose ends.

So I started the day at 8am with the builders, going through every fine detail of the construction. All went well and there appears to be full agreement between us. I have just to write up the detail tonight, and get the construction agreement done.

The REMA Environmental Report is through, and ok, and has been delivered to the Rwandan Development Board.

Then I had to take a taxi moto into town. I took the new masterplan of the site Roger had pdf'd for me yesterday, and it printed out perfectly to scale. Many thanks Roger. The planners now have the redesign of the toilets and site. This all went so well I had time for a coffee at the UTC.

I phoned Betty and arranged for me to go and meet her tomorrow, to ask my last few questions about the street children, for my report to Callum. Then the phone call came from Albert from the Workforce Development Agency, who are the lead agency that develop technical college training in Rwanda. He wanted to meet earlier and we did so at the Leica Hotel.

We chatted over our College's aspirations for helping the poor to achieve employable skills. He was very supportive, and I have to do a proposal focussed on helping the poor get into employable skills.

However, he expressed a really strong desire that he would like the Scottish Colleges network to support Rwandan TVET (Technical and Vocational Training), and that he would like to come to Scotland to spend a few days talking to people in Scotland in early January, with a view to getting practical Scottish College help.

Basically they would like to possibly adopt the Scottish model for training young students, with Rwandan adaptations.

So, I agreed that we (Scotland) needed to support Rwanda in this, took careful notes of what he wanted to achieve, and phoned Linda McTavish, Principle of Anniesland College, and convenor of all the Scottish Colleges.

Anniesland College


She and I  had met (accidentally) at Anniesland College earlier in my sabbatical. One of those many coincidences I have mentioned to you. Linda as you will know from previous blogs is a great enthusiast, and has all the right contacts as well as being really down to earth and practical. So between us we are arranging for Albert to spend 3 days in Glasgow and Edinburgh, and to meet all the right people.

My aspiration for this is that we will together identify individuals and plans that really help Rwanda to take the key steps towards a great TVET system, jointly designed and supported by Scottish and Rwanda partners.

So the afternoon had taken a sudden twist and in a very positive way.

I love when these things happen. I had a sense some months ago that this conversation would happen, and when it did, it just confirmed to me at least, that there was a purpose about all of this, and that my skills were being used productively.

Its hard to explain walking with God, but I feel I should try and do so. Its something like:

He wants me and you to really enjoy being near to Him. We all struggle through the business and turbulence of life to feel close to God. So we are required to just trust and have faith that He is with us despite how are feelings are at anyone time. Emmanuel - God with us. Yes, with you and me - despite ourselves, and what we are like, and whether we are perfect (!) or not.

And when we have faith, and trust Him, and look for Him, our eyes are opened and we all, each, get glimpses of him. Those glimpses challenge us, and make us reflect our worth. If He values and cares about us, then we have value.

And if we have value in His eyes, then everyone is valued, whether king or street child, whether intellectual or mentally impaired, taximoto driver or director of a big organisation, preacher or prostitute.

Its preciousness of people that which has made Rwanda mean loads to me this last 2 weeks - Betty helping the street children; the kids that live in the dirt close to the guest house - that want to hold my hand and get a cuddle - they are brilliant - wish I could do more for them ; the rwandan team that need a project manager to build a College; the builders that need supported through a big project; the planners who get fed up with people moaning at them; even the taximotos who need to learn that 700 Rwf is less than 800 Rwf! - they really must stop negotiating me down!

People are precious  - that is what God feels.

Its all part of it. I see him in all of it. God being near, means that you actually feel the reality of His Love for you and for others. It creates an imperative that requires a response. Something to grapple with, that demands and urges us on.

So the needs of others, and God's love for them, begs the strong question of what can be done, what gifts do you and I have that could help others needs, and could God use these gifts?

Even more remarkably, could God really make great use of these skills and let them freely flow.

You see sometimes, we put all sorts of limits on God, rules about what we don't want to happen, what we think he is like, fears that we have, what he demands of us. But if we just go for it, and trust, then He graces our lives with positive happenings, real friendships, brilliant outcomes, and a relationship with him that explains everything.

Not that it is not very difficult at times, like Rwanda has been for many families. But there is real strength in knowing Him, and in my experience, always real positive benefits for those I work with, for me, and I think for you too.

Anyway I just wanted to say its fun, a real privilege, and I would not trade this experience for anything - except maybe representing Scotland in the World's at curling - naw, not even that!!

Going home tomorrow for a wee while - if the snow will let me in!

Clear the landing zone Bennie. Get the flares out again. The Lysander is on the tarmac at Kigali airport. Ginger where is my elastic band.

Heads down I am coming in!

No comments:

Post a Comment