Saturday 10 December 2011

Footie Kigalia

I had been talking to John Mutesa on Wednesday about how the Friends of Jesus football team was doing. Oh we are winning he said! But then all Rwandans start with the positive - even if they are not. Its just a trait that you have to get used to.

Anyway I am a Scot, so I am used to aspiration being out of proportion to reality, and this morning I checked Google maps where the pitch was and directed my taximoto to the big match.




I arrived a bit late, and had fortunately missed the first goal, which was against us. The game was against another church team, who seemed to me to have more skill than ours. We were particularly good at getting the ball, and then losing it immediately trying to dribble instead of passing. 




Where was the coach, what was he doing letting this continue. Immediately Macfarland was desperate for winning in his usual competitive style.



At half time it was 1 - 0 to the opposition, and John Mutesa, in the smart blue, had a word with the team - John is a pastor in the church, and generally known as Mutesa. The second half started the same as the first, and before long we had tried to dribble out of defence and given away another goal! 





My attention deviated from the game to the volleyball behind me. Here is Betty (see yesterday's Blog) showing the boys how to play. No chance of the other team winning that game.




I would have stayed to the end, but I got a text from Dave Wald, to say that he had just arrived in Kigali, and he had an hour and would we like to meet for a chat. Actually I had presents from David McAdam for Dave. Unfortunately I did not have them with me, so it was back to Remera to collect them and then onto the Novotel for coffee.

What an interesting chat but more of that shortly



The result 3 - 2 for the baddies! But they tried hard and John tells me he is trying to get a coach for them, and with a bit of advice they may go far - but perhaps not as far as a game against the Chryston Church team.

No comments:

Post a Comment